2009/09/07

Sweet treat

So Pookie just recently turned 26 and I wanted him to have a special cake, since we fell in love over birthday cake five years ago:) So I searched long & hard for the perfect chocolate cake recipe (because I was going to bake the most delicious chocolate cake I could on my first ever try). And I was determined not to use a cake mix! Don't get me wrong I can cook and I enjoy it but I didn't have much opportunity to experiment in the kitchen with a mother who constatnly spoiled her children with all types of homecooked and baked goodies.

So I found the Hershey's Chocolate Cake recipe and decided to use it with a few alterations.

Ingredients:
2 cups sugar
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa ( I used a Nesquick cocoa because that's what I had at home, I know a terrible substitution given the title name of the cake)1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water (ended up using 2 cups lol!)

Directions:1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans. 2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans. 3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.Frost. 10 to 12 servings.


Well the batter was really thin after I added 2 cups boiling water instead of the one that the recipe required:) Lol! but that's me these random things happen all the time. I didn't even realize my mistake until I was typing the recipe up for this blog post:) So my cake was in there for about 45 minutes total due to it not being "set" yet at 35 minutes. I used a Pillsbury milk chocolate frosting and shaved white chocolate for topping ( I am not a practised cake decorator yet!)


Well my husband's reaction after tasting his cake... "Moya, this is orgasmic! It shoulda been our wedding cake." Can you tell I'm still blushing and giddy with delight?! So it was a success and I'm glad I tried it and didn't wimp out for a bakery's finest. Others who sampled it couldn't believe how moist this chocolate cake was ( so my spoof turned into a total win!).

Can't wait until I have an excuse to make this again but better not anytime soon since I just started exercising again last week:)




DSCF1150[1]
(Please ignore that there are only 10 candles on the cake, I only had 24 & He turned 26 so I just chose a round even number. I'm Monkish like that)

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness - please send me a piece!! ;-)
    My hubby is about to turn 26 too - how cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol! I would but it's all gone! happy Bday to him when it comes:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ow! I can't believe you did something that cute in your first try baking a cake!

    Happy Birthday to your sweetie. I hope you have a great time together.

    Warm regards,
    Val

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments may God richly bless you:)